Real Good Recipe: Mocha Syrup
Aug 05, 2019
With the holidays in the our rear view it's time to relax. If you’re anything like us, you’re probably still craving all those delicious holiday treats. Luckily, we found a way that you can indulge without losing your new year's momentum.
One of the ways we enjoy some decadence is by combining mocha with our favorite coffee to make us feel like we’re getting a little present with each cup. However, none of us want that sugar crash that can come along with this tasty treat.
As we were researching to find a homemade mocha coffee, we kept running across recipes that just called for chocolate syrup from the grocery store. No offense to those syrups, but we take a lot of time, effort, and care to make the best-tasting coffee, so why would we dilute it with over-processed sugar?
Thanks to a fellow blogger named Kristen over at Little Purple Barn, we found a way to make a wonderful chocolate syrup, without all of the unnecessary sugar and added flavors.
- Your favorite coffee - we prefer our Donut Shop Coffee Pods for the sweet and smooth flavor
- 2 cups of cocoa powder
- 1 cup of blue agave
- A pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
The original recipe mentions hand whisking the ingredients together, but let’s be honest, no one has the time for that.
- Heat the water to a good simmer in a pot on the stove.
- As it’s heating, measure and pour the agave syrup into a blender.
- Combine the cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt into a bowl and set that to the side.
- Once the water is done simmering, pour it into the blender with the agave, and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture of cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt, into the blender and blend for about 60 seconds.
- Add as desired to your coffee.
You now have a seriously delicious chocolate syrup that can transform your morning coffee into a mocha delight. It’s easy to make and you can keep by your coffee brewing setup at home. Put this syrup into a fancy bottle and make your guests think you are a magician in the kitchen - we promise to keep your secret.
Give it a try and then tell us what you think!